Sunday, May 19, 2013

Arlington

Each weekend, hubby and I try to plan an activity day. Since our time in the DC area, we've tried to visit as many of the tourist spots as possible. Today we decided to make a trip to Arlington National Cemetery. Since it was hubby's first time there, we decided to opt for the overpriced bus tour that drops you off and picks you up at some of the main spots in the cemetery. Our first stop was the eternal flame where members of the Kennedy family are buried.


We watched the changing of the guard ceremony.



Our last stop was to area 60, which is where the majority of OIF and OEF KIA are buried. Coming to this part of the cemetery made me feel like I was stepping out of a history book and into reality. There were grieving young widows laying next to their loved one's graves. Floral and other arrangements and pictures of service members adorned the headstones. Seeing such young birth years. (1990s) with death dates seems so unfair and wrong. It truly broke my heart, but I was so thankful to be able to pay my respects and say a prayer for these American heroes. So many people in our society fail to recognize the sacrifices that these people made. I feel very special to be part of the military family, and to be constantly reminded that nothing is guaranteed in life.


I am so proud to be an American. I am greatful to the selfless sacrifices made by my fellow Americans in order to make the US the greatest nation of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment