Sunday, July 21, 2013

Up All Night

I work as an RN in a recovery room at a large teaching hospital in DC. The "recovery room" is where patients who had surgery pass through immediately after waking up from anesthesia. Once they are awake enough or stable enough to transfer to their floor, they leave me and I get another patient. One of the unique aspects of my job compared to other nurses is that I have to take "call." I actually don't mind call... I get to carry around a little pager and feel like I'm pretty important. Just for being on call, I get paid $10 an hour. Once called in, I make time and a half, plus an extra 25% of my base pay for shift differential. See where I'm headed with this? Call is pretty lucrative.

Most people don't get called in.  I don't know if I'd call it bad luck or maybe good luck (because I get a lot of extra $$$ in my paycheck) but I have a 100% call in rate. Usually I only get called in for a couple hours, but last night I got called in all night. Everytime we were getting ready to leave, a new surgery got added on and we had to stay. We even left at one point around 4am, but got called back in  a half hour later. Needless to say, my sleep schedule is a little off.

So what's the best way to compensate for a night like that? Shopping spree! After coming home at 7 and taking a nap, I made an executive decision and called my best friend Sarah, and the two of us went on a shopping spree. I bought lots of new clothes and jewelry. The best part was that I felt no guilt or buyer's remorse because I feel like I 110% deserved this shopping trip.

New necklace from Nords
I don't know what I was thinking when I signed up for 8 consecutive weeks of overtime, but I can't complain too much. I truly appreciate that I work somewhere where extra help is always needed. I remember working places where I would be sent home early or have hours cut due to budget cuts. This extra money has been such a blessing to Ryan and I, which has helped us save more while being able to splurge occasionally.

That being said, we had a fun weekend as well. We went shopping, out to dinner, and watched a movie. We stopped at an art store and I picked up some new paints and canvases for an art project that I'm working on (will update when I'm finished!) I have off Thursday this week, so I won't see much of hubby til then! It's hard to believe that July is almost over. We officially have less than a year at this duty station. Time flies!!!

He either doesn't smile, or he makes a goofy face

Not a complete post without a Posh picture!



No comments:

Post a Comment