Saturday, October 26, 2013

Love Over Time

After being together 5 years, I think it's normal for the romance in a relationship to come down a little. Now, I'm not saying it should totally disappear, but I've found that it has changed since our early dating stages.

Now that we are living together, both working full time, and have been married almost 4 years, it seems like our relationship has grown in a whole new way. I don't wake up to cute morning text messages, but instead get a kiss goodbye when I'm still sleeping. I get texts throughout the day, but they are generally asking how my day is, which car he should drive tomorrow, what groceries we need, etc. I don't get the ballads saying how much he misses me and all that lovey dovey stuff. I guess you could say we've settled into a routine, which may sound horrible but that's life.

When we first got engaged, we went to marriage classes where they talked about how you go from being "in love" to choosing to love one another. I thought they were crazy and that anyone who wasn't "in love" was headed for divorce. I get it now though. When you live with someone, you learn everything about them. You don't just interact with them for fun, romantic dates. It becomes a whole new stage of love where you have to choose to love them, despite their poor kitchen cleaning habits, cranky demeanor in the morning (me), refusal to put laundry away, and more.

But every now and then, Ryan turns up the heat and surprises me. Sometimes it's flowers, a pandora charm, a handwritten card, surprise breakfast in bed, or like I got this week, a surprise candlelit dinner when I came home after a busy day at work.



It's little things like this that remind me how much I love Ryan and that no matter how long two people have been together, it's always important to keep things fresh and fun. He always keeps me on my toes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment