Thursday, March 13, 2014

Taxes

Back when I was in college and Ryan was deploying (to tax free zones), we used to get awesome tax returns. Now that we are both working and have no kids, tax season is a different tune. One saving grace is that the majority of Ryan's income is tax free. 

Anyway, this is definitely a brag post. I finally decided to be a grown up and file our own taxes. People do this every year, so how hard could it be? Ryan and I have had them done at h&r block and we've had them done for free by the military, but this year I wanted to do them ourselves. It's a right of passage into adulthood that I wanted to tackle.

I knew we were going to have to pay, but we figured out a tax credit that Ryan qualified for, and only ended up paying one third of what we estimated and saved for. I'm usually a person who gets things done right away, so us waiting to do taxes until now was me procrastinating because I was intimidated. I quickly learned a) it takes under an hour, b) you just have to fill numbers in boxes, c) if you have a problem, there is more than enough info to reference in the instruction booklet, and d) it's easy.

Who needs an accountant?? I got this! On top of that, it's officially Friday AND Ryan and I both just got paid. I'm happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment