Saturday, May 24, 2014

Memorial Day 2014

Four years ago, Ryan left for his last deployment. It's been such a blessing to have him here for four straight years with no goodbyes. He won't deploy for at least another year either. I know it's part of his job, but goodbyes sting and burn so badly. I don't think I'll ever be "used" to saying goodbye to my husband.

Memorial Day always reminds me of those who said goodbye, but never got to experience the joy and happiness of a homecoming. As much as saying goodbye hurts, the homecoming is so sweet it almost rectifies the pain from saying goodbye. I never want to become complacent or take for granted my freedom. I am so thankful for the eternal sacrifices made by past service members. I also hold their families close to my heart, not just on Memorial Day weekend but every day of the year.


I'm on call all weekend, so I'm not going to picnics or anything fancy, but with living in DC it's obvious how many people are taking a long weekend to "enjoy" this holiday. Never forget that we live in the land of the free because of the brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment